Monday, March 30, 2009

Watch out: Timepieces can be addictive

Joni, a Brighton-ista in Colorado, says she's had a love of watches ever since she was old enough to put one on. Her all-time favorite is a 1970s Snoopy watch, where Snoopy is playing tennis, his racket is the minute hand and a tennis ball goes around as the second hand. (I had that watch too!) But now Joni is an avid collector of Brighton watches. I discovered from her post in Facebook that she has 33 (!) watches and most all of the matching bracelets. I asked Joni, Why watches? Many people don't even wear watches anymore. They use cell phones to tell time. Here's what she said:
I would imagine that my passion for watches was simply that most are affordable and a wonderful way to express my individuality in a piece of jewelry. You need many watches for all of your outfits. Since Brighton makes so many wonderful pieces, it is not hard to have a large collection....Of course having a store within 5 minutes certainly contributes to my delinquency. My habit became enhanced after my divorce, kind of a nice outlet huh? I would look for clearances or stores that were no longer going to sell Brighton - my little secret. I would buy up watches, bracelets, whatever I could get the best deal on. Some I even got 2 for one.
Joni said she couldn't name a favorite Brighton watch, but she does have one that holds the most sentimental value for her: It is a heart-shaped Brighton watch with a pink leather band that was a gift from her oldest son: My son had just come back from the Army a couple years ago and we had not spoken for a while, it was his 'peace' offering to me. (I did not want him to enlist) It came with tons of love and that was the most important gift of all.
As much as she loves her Brighton watches, Joni said the watch she really wants is one that Brighton doesn't make yet: A sports watch. So many women could benefit from having a cool sports watch - that does not look like a MAN'S watch. I have faith that Brighton will come through for us athletic girls.
While Joni's waiting on that new design, I know what I am going to do: Make sure my five Brighton watches (yes, only five) get fresh batteries so I can start enjoying them again.
Thanks for sharing your story, Joni!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? Leave a comment here.