Friday, March 20, 2009

And then there were three...


It's spring break here and my 7th grade son Henry has just brought me the mail. "Brighton. Of course," he deadpans, handing me a small package. I explain, though he's not real interested, that it is something I had to buy twice, a replacement set of some of my favorite earrings, the white and blue ones that belong to the Pop Garden collection. (I have the bracelet, both sets of coordinating necklaces, both sets of earrings and even the matching pony tail holder.) One of my original set went missing some time ago. "Uh oh, I hope it wasn't something I lost," Henry says. When I get the package open, then the tin, Henry says, "Yep it is." If you have, or have had, a son this age you know that expressing shock or anger at a moment like this is a waste of energy. I just looked at him and asked, Why do you think you lost it? "Cause I was playing with them. They hook together so well." He's referring to the french wires. I see now my son has made Barrel Monkeys out of my favorite Pop Garden earrings. I suggest he look for my missing earring near wherever he last played with them. He begins digging through sofa cushions and calls out his discoveries: "A sock. More socks. Another sock. The original TV remote. A piece of candy corn." But no earring. Do any of the socks match? I call out. "No," he says. So now I have three matching earrings and four mismatched socks. Henry asks, somewhat nervously, if I lost "that big round thing" that he says is "so much fun to toss." He's talking about my 2-inch-wide Serendipity bangle. "Uh no. That's a lot harder to lose." Note to self: Put the jewelry straight into the jewelry box when I take it off. And buy son Barrel of Monkeys.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? Leave a comment here.