Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Charmed, I'm sure


About the time the economy crashed -- my own, as well as the nation's -- Brighton expanded its ABC Charm offerings, enabling me to build my collection $10 at a time. Charms were first introduced a few years ago with colorful initials, charms and spacer beads intended to be worn a few at a time. I didn't really get interested in them until the introduction of the slider bracelets, which can hold about a dozen sliders, spacers and charms at a time. They look great (check out my design for Valentine's Day at left) but do the math: The bare bracelet costs about $25, then add 12 charms at a cost of roughly $10 a piece. Actual price varies from $5-$25 each. The total adds up to nearly $150. But hey, I'm spending $10 a pop so it doesn't seem that bad -- except of course when I suddenly want every new charm that comes out. What do you mean, you sold out of the bumble bee? I gotta have that one! No soccer ball?! But that's what my son is getting me for Christmas! Ah forget it, I'm not even trying to collect them all. (Thankfully, they aren't all that good. Like that ugly Kansas state charm. Hey, PLEASE, how about a sunflower charm instead?) But in these tight money times, charm collecting allows even a broke Brightonista a way to stay in the game. I mean, its only $10 right? Still, the best thing about the charms isn't the price but the creativity they allow. Get enough beads, sliders and charms (today's count: 42) and you can create countless combinations. Even big girls like to string beads.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? Leave a comment here.