Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Why I nearly missed my plane

I just got back from a trip to San Diego that took me through the Houston International airport. My son Henry was traveling with me and its a good thing because as we neared our gate, my eye caught site of a sign in the Concourse C walkway that said "Inside: Brighton." I grabbed Henry and pulled him inside a store that would normally hold no interest for me whatsoever, a PGA Golf store full of golf shirts and accessories with broadcasts of hushed-tone sportscasters narrating a pro game on overhead video screens. (Jeez, you might was well take me into an auto parts store.) But there at the back of the store was a hidden treasure trove of Brighton! My eyes darted over the merchandise crammed into this small nook in the back of the store. Not only did they have many of the newest products, they had an older one that I've been on the hunt for: the red braided leather bandit with the silver bar inscribed with the words, "Follow Your Heart." I did and took it up to the counter to pay, where I started chatting up two nice lady clerks about why there was a Brighton section in this PGA store. One explained that it was supposed to be "something for the ladies" when there husbands come in the store. Well, certainly I can't imagine a better incentive. I was becoming engrossed in my conversation with the clerks when my son tugged on my sleeve and said, "Mom! Our flight's boarding!" I had totally forgotten I was in an airport about to catch a flight!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? Leave a comment here.