Friday, April 3, 2009

I'd like to buy a vowel, please

I'm a word person. I love words, sentences, paragraphs, stories, books, even individual letters.
As a child, I loved sorting through noodle letters for words in alphabet soup. As a Brightonista, I have been slowly aquiring letters from the Brighton ABCs collection.
At $7.50 a piece, you just can't jump in and buy a whole alphabet. I started with my initials, p, m, b. Once I got the Oklahoma state charm and the orange and black spacers, I decided I wanted the option of making a bracelet for alma mater, Oklahoma State, so I added o,s,u. Then I realized all I needed was one more m to spell out m-o-m and wear it in a bracelet with the soccer ball my son gave me. (Get it? Soccer Mom!)
It finally hit me today that all I needed to spell my name was 2 ls and a y. So I headed to Aida's, navigated past the construction equipment (see earlier post) to buy my letters. Two years ago when I first longed to spell out my name, five letters and four spacers seemed like a huge investment. Now, I just needed two consonants and a vowel. Y is a vowel, right?
After I built by name, I studied my 10 letters. Ten. That's one more than you get in Scrabble. What else, what else? Hey, look! p-m-s! Too bad Brighton doesn't make a chocolate charm.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? Leave a comment here.